Welcome to our wonderful Year One page! We have lots of exciting things in store for your child, and we will learn about lots of new interesting topics every term.
Autumn 1 topic - 'The Great Dino Dig'
Autumn 2 topic - 'Toy Stories'
Spring term topic - 'A time to grow'
Summer term topic - 'A Knight's Tale'
We are really looking forward to working with you and your children, so please check back here for any information and new dates for your diary.
Meet the Team
Our Key Stage One Leader is Mr Murday. If you wish to speak to him then his email address is:
The class teachers are Ms Taylor and Mrs Davies-Jones. If you wish to contact either of the class teachers then their email addresses are:
The teaching assistants are Mrs Kirkland and Mrs Stephens.
- Please read as much as possible with your child at home. Your child will receive a new book each Friday. All books need to be returned on a Thursday.
- Homework will be set on a Friday. This will include reading, spellings, handwriting and maths, which is handed out to each child to put in their book bags. The homework does not need to be returned but we would like each coloured folder handed back in every Thursday with their reading book.
- PE is on a Thursday with Miss Hemming. Please can all PE kits be kept in school and they will be sent home at the end of each half-term. The PE kit includes a pair of black shorts, jogging bottoms, a red t-shirt, a warm jumper or hoodie and trainers.
Please could you provide extra underwear and socks in these bags as well.
- Please can you also ensure that all items of clothing are labelled, as we are finding lots of jumpers, cardigans and ties without names on each day. Please do keep checking them as they do rub off when they have been washed.
- Your child will need a named water bottle each day with only water in it please.
- Due to the very limited space in our shared cloakroom, we do request that the children only bring a book bag to school and not the larger rucksacks and backpacks.
Every year in Year One, the children have to complete a Phonics Screening Test. This is a test that involves your child reading a set of 40 words that are real and not real. It takes place in school with their own class teacher and results have to be submitted externally. The date for this is Monday 6th June 2022. We do ask that children are not taken out of school during this week, as we only have a limited amount of time to administer the test. More information will be sent out nearer the time. This is not anything to worry about, as your child will see it as a game.
Curriculum in Year 1
This half-term our topic is called 'The Great Dino Dig'. We have been learning all about different types of dinosaurs, where they lived and what they ate. We have also had lots of fun learning about how long the dinosaurs were and investigated a very important Palaeontologist called Mary Anning. We also found something very exciting on the school field — ask your child what it was! We have also had lots of fun drawing cave pictures and moving dinosaurs.
We have enjoyed our learning around our next topic called 'Toy Stories' This has included us sharing some wonderful texts such as 'The Toymaker,' and 'Lost in the Toy Museum.' We are currently sharing the traditional story of 'Pinocchio.'
We have been using exciting verbs and adjectives to describe all the characters from the stories and our writing has just been getting better each week.
In History, we have been learning about how toys have changed through the decades and our families helped us to fill out questionnaires to help us compare what our Grandparents and Parents played with when they were young and what we like to play with now.
During our Science lessons, we have been investigating Materials and their properties. We have had some amazing discussions.
In Design and Technology, we have been designing and making our own wooden spoon puppets and hand puppets. Can you guess which characters we have made? Look how well we have done with our sewing skills!
We are also eager to film our Christmas Performance too, this will be shared very soon on our Year 1 Secure Area.
As always we continue to be very proud of all of our children. They are always READY TO LISTEN and READY TO LEARN!
This term our topic is called 'A Time to Grow'. We have been learning lots of exciting things about farming and where fruits and vegetables come from. We have also read some fantastic texts as part of our English work, such as 'Handa's Surprise', 'Oliver's Vegetables' and 'Supertato'. We even tasted some different fruits and vegetables to help us think of some super adjectives to use in our sentences! We have produced some fantastic work this term and we are very proud!
On World Book Day, we really enjoyed dressing up as our favourite book characters and did some wonderful work on poetry. We read and learnt the poem 'Grow Up' then we wrote our very own versions of this poem. We then visited the school library to pick a book that we wanted to read for our 15 minute a day sponsored read. We love reading in Year One! One of our favourite parts of the day is story time!
In our art lessons, we have been learning about the artist Giuseppe Arcimboldo. We looked at his artwork and discussed what we could see and what the pictures represented. We then spent time exploring the shapes, colours and patterns that we can see in these. In small groups, we used different fruits and vegetables to help us make some portraits in the same style as Arcimbaldo. Look how fantastic they look!