Hello everyone and welcome to the Year 2 page!
Firstly, we would like to congratulate your children on how well they have taken to life in Year 2. They are all trying hard to follow our new behaviour policy and earn their stickers and raffle tickets, whilst eagerly waiting to see if they have been chosen for 'Hot Chocolate Friday'. In class, we are constantly asking who is ready to listen and ready to learn and the children are clearly showing how much they love learning as they are taking that on board. We still have our 'Well Done' assembly on a Friday afternoon too, where two children are chosen each week.
Throughout the year we will keep this webpage updated, so please check it regularly for any changes.
Meet the Team
The class teachers are Mr Murday and Miss Moorcroft. If you wish to contact either of the class teachers then their email addresses are:
The teaching assistants are Miss Turner and Miss Duddy who will be assisting the classes in the morning.
Mr Murday is also the Key Stage leader so if you wish to speak to him please contact on the above address.
- Please read as much as possible with your child at home. Research has shown that a child who reads 10 minutes per day in Key Stage One has a 95% chance of performing better at 16 than if they don't. It really is the most important and the most crucial thing you can do with your child. We advise you read each book twice to help improve their sight vocabulary and fluency before bringing it back in to change.
- Homework will be set on a Friday. This will include reading, spellings, maths and an optional piece of homeworl, which is handed out to each child to put in their book bags. The homework does not need to be returned but if they bring it back we will love to see it! :)
- PE is on a Friday with Miss Manning and Miss Hemming. Please can all PE kits be kept in school and they will be sent home at the end of each half term.
- Please can you also ensure that all items of clothing are labelled.
- Your child will need a named water bottle each day with only water in it please.
- Due to the very limited space in our shared cloakroom, we do request that the children only bring a book bag to school and not the larger rucksacks and backpacks.
We will be confirming plans for our Christmas Nativity in the upcoming months.
The children in Year 2 also have to take part in a SATs test during May. We do ask that you try and avoid going for holidays during this month. We are allowed to do the tests at any time but if your child misses the date the class do it they may be asked to complete it alone which isn't ideal. We don't put too much emphasise on these tests due to their age so make them less threatening by calling them Mr Ball's quizzes. Please don't worry about them either and contact us if you have any concerns.
Curriculum in Year 2
This half-term our topic is called 'The Terrible Tudors'. We have been learning all about Henry VIII and whether he was the tyrant we are led to believe, Holbein the artist and the adventures of Sir Francis Drake. We have also had lots of fun learning about materials in our Science topic.
Thank you for your continued support.
Mr Murday, Miss Moorcroft, Miss Turner and Miss Turner